ZEDS Blog


I enjoy the essays of Dafoe, Addison, and Samuel
Johnson, all of which were published in pamphlets. Pamphlets were in vogue from 1650-1800, providing writers a forum to express views on politics, society, religion, and art. This has been revived in modern times in the form of blogs.

This is now a slight revamp of my blog that started in 2008.
My reading has become a little more specialized, although previous books commented on show I was heading this direction. At this point I will review mainly Christian texts or other texts from a Christian perspective. I intend to post more regularly with book reviews.

I consider reading and writing as part of the spiritual
journey toward maturity and, I hope, wisdom. These are postings of what I’m learning along the way.

Rod Zinkel, August 19, 2015


Saturday, June 28, 2008

C. S. Lewis's Allegory and Symbolism

From reading Lewis's The Allegory of Love, and his definition of allegory vs. symbolism, The Chronicles of Narnia could be called an allegory, but by his definition. In modern usage of the term people who refer to the series as an allegory for Christianity actually mean to say it is symbolic. Allegory starts with the immaterial, like passion, and illustrates it with fiction. Symbolism sees the world itself as the allegory. "If our passions, being immaterial, can be copied by material inventions, then it is possible that our material world in its turn is the copy of an invisible world," (p. 45). "Symbolism is a mode of thought, but allegory is a mode of ..p. 48). Perhaps I can phrase it another way, for my own clarity. It could be categorized as poetry and philosophy. The poet observes the world and writes fiction to reflect it. The philosopher observes the world to see what it reflects. I think of Lewis as a better philosopher than poet. I can see how his studies in Medieval literature, or, more yet, his love of romance noted in Surprised by Joy, would integrate his philosophy with writing fiction.

The best works of literature have both philosophy and poetry. As I think of those I consider great poets -- Wordsworth, Yeats, T.S. Eliot -- they have both aspects in their poetry. They observe the world microscopically and macroscopically. By these categories I see some faults in poetry more clearly. While I admire the imagist poets, they are limited in observing only the world, and not what it represents. Religious and political poetry, in general, is too concerned with the Idea and does not observe the world closely enough.

C.S. Lewis, The Allegory of Love, New York:Oxford University Press, 1958.

No comments:

Calendar

See the latest on Sheepshead Review, UWGB's Journal of the Arts:

www.uwgb.edu/sheepshead


Chapbook: Two Natures

The Neville Museum series has published a chapbook of 15 of my poems. They are of human and spiritual natures. Here are two poems from the book:

Two Natures

On still water of the pond
two natures you may notice--
where scum has been gathering,
there also grows the lotus.

One Way

There's a boy
who stands knee-high
to a July cornstalk.
He stares one way
down the dirt road
his mother has gone.
He find Fortune
has desrted him,
like the poverty-stricken,
society-forbidden parent.
"I can't take care of you," she said.
I am the child who mirrors
his mother's tears without knowing why?