ZEDS Blog


I enjoy the essays of Dafoe, Addison, and Samuel
Johnson, all of which were published in pamphlets. Pamphlets were in vogue from 1650-1800, providing writers a forum to express views on politics, society, religion, and art. This has been revived in modern times in the form of blogs.

This is now a slight revamp of my blog that started in 2008.
My reading has become a little more specialized, although previous books commented on show I was heading this direction. At this point I will review mainly Christian texts or other texts from a Christian perspective. I intend to post more regularly with book reviews.

I consider reading and writing as part of the spiritual
journey toward maturity and, I hope, wisdom. These are postings of what I’m learning along the way.

Rod Zinkel, August 19, 2015


Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Claus Family Christmas Letter

Dear Friends and Family:

It has been nearly a year already. I’m sending this out early as I will be very busy the next two months. The end of the year is fast approaching and inventory’s at only one-and-a-half billion toys. I wanted Mrs. Claus to write this year’s letter again, but after I criticize last year’s, asking her not to include the clinical details of my hernia, she told me I must do it myself.
Mrs. Claus is doing well. She’s taken up a spinning class, which I thought had to do with wool, but evidently not. I asked her for a pair of socks and she told me to buy one.
The Mrs. has told me we need to improve our health. If I wasn’t so jolly I’d hate Web MD. We have to watch our carb intake, which I thought referred to our ’85 Buick Century, but evidently not. We tried aqua aerobics for a few minutes. I’m still recovering from hyperthermia. Mother has told me I might lose a little weight if I join in the reindeer games.
The reindeer are fine, but they tend to squabble. Cupid teased Donner, “What if Donner threw a party and nobody came?” I had to discourage teasing, but I admit that was pretty funny.
Working with elves is not unlike working with children. We have Elf on 24 hours a day. Imagine TBS is the only channel you get. And every hour-and-a-half another round of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” How about throwing in Lord of the Rings once-in-a-while?
Oh, and those of you who are still hoping for a Wii this Christmas -- WE ARE WORKING ON IT! Have a merry Christmas. Be good to your parents. And don’t eat refrozen ice cream.

Santa Claus

(From Aurora's Northern Highlights.)

No comments:

Calendar

See the latest on Sheepshead Review, UWGB's Journal of the Arts:

www.uwgb.edu/sheepshead


Chapbook: Two Natures

The Neville Museum series has published a chapbook of 15 of my poems. They are of human and spiritual natures. Here are two poems from the book:

Two Natures

On still water of the pond
two natures you may notice--
where scum has been gathering,
there also grows the lotus.

One Way

There's a boy
who stands knee-high
to a July cornstalk.
He stares one way
down the dirt road
his mother has gone.
He find Fortune
has desrted him,
like the poverty-stricken,
society-forbidden parent.
"I can't take care of you," she said.
I am the child who mirrors
his mother's tears without knowing why?